Fleas are the most common parasites in dogs and cats which can lead to an intense itching that makes the pet miserable. Furthermore, fleas are capable of switching hosts too: in absence of pets, they tend to bite humans. People allergic to insect bites can develop hives and rashes from these bites and these are nearly impossible to resist scratching. Scratching flea bites often lead to secondary skin infections which may require antibiotics or steroidal creams for treatment. Moreover, fleas from rodents are often responsible for transmitting serious diseases like dog tapeworm or bubonic plague in humans.
So today, we will consider a few remedies that can help stop flea bites from itching. These remedies can relieve itchy skin quickly and immediately on both humans and pets.
How to stop flea bites from itching in pets
It is important to determine what is causing the itchiness in the pets in the first place. Many animals are allergic to certain foods or might be having other skin conditions like dandruff, ticks, fungal skin infections etc that may be responsible for the itch. It is essential to watch out for signs of fleas to ensure there is indeed an infestation. If not; take your vet’s advice to help relieve itchy skin in your pet.
- The first step to help relieve itchy skin due to flea bites in dogs and cats is to bathe them with warm water. For open infected sores, avoid using harsh chemical based shampoos. Instead, bathe the pet in a soothing homemade shampoo made from powdered oatmeal. Simply run the coarse oatmeal in a blender and mix this powder with water. Apply it to the pet’s coat and leave it on for 15 minutes. Oatmeal has natural compounds that soothe inflammation and also moisturize the pet’s skin.
- Combing your pet’s fur using a flea comb can help remove fleas and give it much needed relief. If the pet has open wounds from the bites, make sure you apply some soothing cream or gel that can give immediate relief from itchiness.
- Application of ice to the bitten region is another effective remedy for soothing the skin.
- Aloe Vera gel taken from the plant directly and applied to pet’s fur can help relieve redness and itching.
- Calendula ointment, marigold extracts, lavender oils etc are other natural remedies to stop flea bites from itching in pets.
- Apple cider vinegar has also been proven to help stop flea bites from itching. Using diluted ACV as an after-shampoo rinse helps give a shiny coat and also relieves itchy skin in the animal.
How to stop flea bites from itching in humans and relieve itchy skin
As stated before, fleas tend to bite humans particularly on the ankles, legs, feet, arms and other easy-to-access areas. To stop flea bites from itching:
- Wash the bitten area with water to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Apply an ice pack or any frozen vegetable pack to soothe the skin.
- For intense itching, take an antihistamine tablet or syrup such as Benadryl.
- Apply Aloe Vera based lotion, skin cream or gel to relieve the swelling and redness.
- Calamine lotion is another proven remedy to relieve itchy skin fast.
- Witch hazel is another effective herbal remedy that can be applied using a cotton ball on the bitten region of the skin to stop flea bites from itching.
- Used teabags can also help relieve itchy skin. Simply place a few in the freezer and once cooled, apply them to the bite site to bring down swelling and inflammation.
- It is important to avoid scratching the bitten region as the germs trapped beneath the nails can infect the bite leading to harder-to-treat skin conditions.
Flea bites on humans generally do not leave behind any permanent scars but they mustn’t be scratched so as to prevent bacterial infections. Furthermore, one must also follow a proactive flea control routine to ensure keeping these parasites away in the first place. Failure to do this will simply lead to more infestations that will make you and your pets miserable. That being said, the aforementioned remedies can help stop flea bites from itching and immediately relieve itchy skin in pets and humans.