While fleas are more of a problem in the summer months, for pet owners, they can be a problem all year round. In this guide, we shall study a natural and gentle yet effective method of eliminating fleas in the carpet fast.
How to kill fleas in the carpet using baking soda and salt
The baking soda and salt method is the easiest and safest way of eliminating fleas in the carpet. Both of these common kitchen ingredients are not only safe for pets and babies; they are also easily available at a low cost. Moreover, using this natural method can help you get rid of all the fleas in the carpet and also their eggs. Here are a few steps for using baking soda and salt to eliminate fleas in the carpet:
- Start by removing the lighter furniture from the carpeted areas.
- Liberally sprinkle salt on the carpet going from left to right in order to cover each and every area of the room. Note that you will need a lot of salt depending on the size and number of rooms you have. Make sure you have an adequate supply of both the ingredients.
- Now apply baking soda liberally from one end of the room to other as explained above. You will not need as much soda as salt since it is easier to spread and it is also a hassle to sweep large quantities with a broom. (This brings us to the next step.)
- Take a broom and sweep the carpet thoroughly. Doing so helps ensure that the soda and salt mix completely with one another. The broom also ensures that both the products get deep inside the carpet fibers in order to kill all of the fleas in the carpet.
- Depending on the extent of the infestation, you might want to leave both products in the carpet for at least 12 hours. The salt can be a bit abrasive to the pet’s skin and fur, so make sure to keep your pet away from the room being treated.
- The salt and baking soda both work by dehydrating the fleas in the carpet as well as their eggs. During this period these pests will try to get away from the treatment, so you might notice them jumping on your feet and legs. Hence, you need to protect these parts with a pair of socks or slippers.
- The baking soda and salt method of removing fleas in the carpet must be repeated once every week until all of the fleas are eliminated.
To make the salt-baking soda treatment more effective, ensure washing all of the pet bedding in hot water. A good dehumidifier must also be run during this period, since fleas need a humid environment to survive. Vacuuming the areas completely (including all upholstery, carpets, sofas and curtains) can also help make the soda and salt treatment more effective in killing all of the fleas in the carpet. The pet itself should be washed and shampooed using special formulations that help eliminate fleas. Essential oils like tea tree oil, citronella, lavender and geranium oils can also be used in the form of flea collars or made into diluted sprays to treat all flea infested areas. Make sure that you use only small quantities of these oils as several of them can be toxic to pets. Repeating the cleaning regime mentioned above can help eliminate all of the fleas in the carpet naturally.
Got fleas? Find out which products work in 2019, with my updated flea control product comparison chart.